What to look for when choosing a plastic permeable paving grid
There are several factors to take into consideration when looking to purchase a permeable paving grid.
If the grid is too large then the grid ’bridges’ voids in the ground and becomes unstable. The smaller grids are always more advisable as they conform to ground conditions and temperatures well.
There is a strong likelihood of the grid lifting if not securely ‘locked’ together. If it does lift then the surface ingresses under the base which further exacerbates the problem. As the surface lifts, more material is deposited resulting in not only an aesthetic problem but a practical and health and safety issue. This is a common problem and one that is costly to rectify.
A simple test can be made, if you can easily manually separate one grid from its neighbour, then the grids are unlikely to be suitable for driving upon. Any movement in the floor will result in the grids separating.
Make-up of the grids
If the grids need to be pinned in some way then two problems occur; they are vastly more time consuming to lay and there is the not so obvious problem that the pins simply will not go in to the ground (rocks, roots etc.) or that they will not stay in the ground. Some grids have pre-attached spikes which are in turn problematic in areas where there is stone (most situations) or roots evident. The time consuming aspect of having to force each individual grid in place is also a consideration factor.
The product should hold certifications including independent testing in accordance with the uses of the grid.
Certifications that Ecogrid Paving already hold are:
- DIN 38412 – Neutral for the environment
- DIN 4102 – Approval emergency access routes, fire resistance
- DIN 1072 – Approval for 20 tonne axle load, driveways, road extensions, bridges
- DIN IN ISO 124 and B125 – Approval for car parks, access roads & storage areas
- Point axle loading up to 40 T/m², DIN 1072:1985
- UV-resistant, certified DIN EN 60068-2-5
- Heavy-duty, tried and tested DIN EN 124:2011
- Environmentally safe, tested OECD 2002:2004
- Factory warranty: 20 years from purchase date
- NATO certified E50 – MOD / 9330-99-858-1406
- Fully part ‘M’ (BS8300) compliant
- TÜV CERT
Ecogrid Paving is truly a market leading permeable paving grid.